How CBD Helps Restore Your Natural Sleep Cycle
How CBD Restores Your Natural Sleep Cycle
Nearly 1 in 4 Americans will develop symptoms of insomnia each year, with an astounding 30% of adults in the US experiencing occasional insomnia. Chronic insomnia afflicts 10% of the population. The treatment of disrupted sleep-wake cycles has become big business for Big Pharma, but traditional sleeping pills and "sleep aids" are notorious for their many debilitating, and sometimes hazardous, side effects. CBD, cannabidiol, offers a safer non-toxic alternative for restoring your natural sleep cycle without the risks of fatal overdose, tolerance, or dependence and addiction that accompany strong barbiturate sleep-inducing drugs.
Strong sleep medications often leave the consumer with a medication "hangover", those feelings of listlessness and lingering drowsiness which is anything but rejuvenating. Modern non-barbiturate sleeping aids haven't fared much better. According to American Addiction Centers.org, sleep aids such as Ambien have caused serious side effects such as:
- memory impairment
- cognitive impairment
- depression and suicide
- loss of appetite
Why CBD is the Healthiest Natural Sleep Solution
These debilitating side effects are all avoided with a natural CBD sleep aid such as Modern Nature's Rested capsules. That's because CBD works in harmony with the body's own endocannabinoid system, the ECS, arguably the most important biofeedback regulator in the human body, and in fact the bodies of all mammals.
The ECS is comprised of cannabinoid receptors, the body's most numerous neurotransmitters known as CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors are located primarily in the brain with some distribution in important regions of the body. CB2 receptors are distributed throughout the body with a less intense distribution in the brain. These vital neurotransmitters provide the necessary biocommunication to regulate the most important physiological and mental processes and maintain the optimized state of wellbeing which scientists call "homeostasis".
The incredible ECS features an intense concentration of CB1 neurotransmitters in the limbic and paralimbic regions of the brain where the most vital processes are regulated and controlled including:
- sleep-wake cycles
- circadian rhythm
- anxiety and stress management
- inflammation and immune response
- cognitive thought and memory
- pain response and tolerance
- muscle health and recovery
- injury recovery
Most of us have experienced the common disruption to the circadian rhythm after traveling across time zones known as "jet lag". Switching from the day shift to the night shift can trigger the same effects. Sleep disorders are characterized by similar disruptions to the body's natural circadian rhythm, the biological "clock" which regulates daily physical functions such as appetite, energy, and sleep-wake cycles.
When that vital clock is knocked out of sync insomnia, appetite, mood, immune response, and cognitive functions are all affected. Insomnia has a nasty way of inducing a runaway negative feedback loop, where it induces physical stress and anxiety which in turn worsens the sleep disruption. Supplemental CBD can help restore the state of optimized homeostasis to break this debilitating cycle.
As a case in point, 83% of all those suffering from depression also have insomnia. Obviously, adding strong synthetic sleeping drugs to the mix can only exacerbate the problem because they are artificially treating the single symptom of sleeplessness with a sedative, or anesthetic effect. Supplemental CBD enhances the ECS to restore the natural sleep cycle when insomnia is placing unusual stress on the body and the natural supplies of the body's own manufactured cannabinoids, or endocannabinoids, need replenishment.
Sleep Enhancing Properties of CBD
In recent decades many studies have shown that CBD demonstrates potent calming, anti-inflammatory, and relaxing effects. A recent case study published at the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health website provides clinical data to support the use of cannabidiol as a safe alternative treatment to traditional psychiatric medications for reducing anxiety and improving sleep in a young girl suffering from PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder. The report cites CBD's multiple mechanisms of action on the ECS including:
- Calming anti-anxiety action is the result of CBD's ability to directly affect the CB1 receptors to reduce excessive neuronal activity. The ECS produces a natural enzyme known as anandamide which is a natural mood-elevating substance and also provides other medical benefits such as pain reduction. CBD slows down the enzymatic breakdown of anandamide allowing it to provide these positive effects for a longer time in the body.
- CBD affects CB2 receptors to mediate the amount of cytokine, a pain-receptor substance released by the immune cells, reducing inflammation and pain which could cause interruptions to the most restorative stages of deep sleep.
- CBD has a potent anti-depressive action by directly activating the 5-HT1A serotonin receptor.
- CBD increased sleep time with less frequent awakenings in a clinical study of adults with insomnia. Adults without insomnia experienced no disruptions to the normal sleep-wake cycle. Patients with Parkinson's disease experienced reduced symptoms of REM sleep disorder which returned when CBD therapy was discontinued.
- CBD reduces levels of cortisol, a stimulating hormone, to promote calm sound sleep and reduce arousals between the restorative stages of sleep. Reducing cortisol levels also enhances muscle recovery while sleeping, especially important for athletes and personal fitness enthusiasts.
Best CBD Products to Improve Your Sleep
As CBD emerges as the dominant cannabinoid in cannabis therapy health consumers face the quandary of choosing from an astounding variety of CBD products. Medicinal marijuana also vies for a spot in the sleep enhancement market, but high THC content rules it out as an option for many who suffer from chronic insomnia. Full spectrum CBD products derived from the industrial hemp variety of the Sativa L cannabis family are the best sources for restoring the natural sleep cycle.
While the THC and CBD cannabinoids both have potent effects, the psychoactive nature of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in marijuana can actually worsen the conditions which are disrupting the sleep-wake cycle such as anxiety. THC can trigger adrenaline surges which induce excitability. It also has a strong affinity for binding directly to the CB1 receptor intended for the natural mood elevating substance anandamide. The short-term euphoria from THC in marijuana can be intense but the disruption or reduction of anandamide levels can contribute to more anxiety and more arousals which worsen symptoms of insomnia in the longer term.
Also to be considered is the fact that any cannabis product with THC levels higher than .03% is considered "non-hemp cannabis" which is still illegal at the federal level and in many states. Under the terms of the 2018 Farm Bill, only CBD products from hemp are legal in all 50 states. THC is fat soluble which means it can linger in detectable levels long after it's been taken which rules it out as a viable sleep disorder remedy for individuals subject to their employers' rigorous zero-tolerance drug policies.
How to Take CBD to Restore Your Natural Sleep Cycle
CBD can be ingested in many ways including vaping, smoking (medical marijuana), orally with tinctures, gums, and edibles, or topically with creams and ointments. Topical applications will be of little use for restoring the natural sleep cycle since the CBD never reaches the bloodstream through the resistant barrier of the skin. With vaping or smoking, the effects of CBD are felt quickly but they tend to wear off faster and the most effective dose amount can be hard to track. For fostering the most consistent sleep-wake cycle, easy-to-take Modern Nature Rested capsules, each with a precisely measured amount of 15mg CBD content, taken regularly 30- 60 minutes before sleep are the best solution.
Sleep disorders involve more than just an inability to fall asleep quickly. According to the National Sleep Foundation, sleep quality is more important than the quantity of sleep for augmenting your overall health. There is much more involved than merely being in bed for 8 hours. Below are the parameters for determining your quality of sleep.
- Falling asleep in 30 minutes or less is usually an indicator that you're on your way to high-quality sleep.
- Waking up more frequently than once per night could be a sign of sleep disruption. When the sleep cycle is disrupted by waking up too frequently you're bound to feel fatigued the next day because the deepest restorative sleep phases have been missed or shortened. The highest quality sleep occurs when you don't wake up during the night at all.
- After waking in the night, remaining awake for more than 20 minutes is an indicator of poor sleep quality.
- Less than 85% spent sleeping of the total time spent in bed is an indicator of sleep cycle disruption.
If you're experiencing any of these sleep quality issues, a regimen of oral CBD can help, though most CBD products haven't been enhanced specifically to restore the natural sleep cycle. At Modern Nature, we've developed our Rested formula for exactly that purpose.
Benefits of Using MoNa's CBD Rested Capsules to Restore Your Natural Sleep Cycle
At Modern Nature, we've made it our mission to combine the latest CBD research with the time-proven natural ingredients known to enhance the natural sleep cycle. Our Rested formula incorporates the potent sleep-enhancing properties of full spectrum CBD from hemp oil with the calming effects of well-known sleep promoting ingredients including:
- Melatonin- Natural levels of melatonin are highest at night, and the hormone plays an important role in maintaining a healthy sleep-wake cycle. Research has shown that supplemental melatonin can help alleviate sleep disorders such as delayed sleep phase, insomnia, and symptoms of jet lag. Melatonin promotes sleep onset to help you fall asleep quickly. Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland which is activated by darkness and turned off by light. Bright light can directly inhibit melatonin production and should be avoided in the hours preceding bedtime. Supplemental melatonin can ensure that levels of this sleep-inducing hormone remain elevated enough to support deep sleep throughout the night.
- Amino acids (see below)
- Niacin (Vitamin B3)- B vitamins have been advanced by research as an effective preventive of insomnia. They've also proven to be useful for reducing nocturnal leg cramps.
- Vitamin B6- Research had pointed to deficiencies in vitamin B6 causing psychological distress resulting in sleep disturbance.
- GABA- This organic amino acid reduces neurotransmitter activity and nerve function to reduce anxiety and increase calmness and relaxation. Low GABA levels caused by acute and chronic stress have been linked to anxiety disorders and low-quality sleep.
- 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is an amino acid related to serotonin, a brain chemical which affects regulation of mood, pain, and sleep.
- Valerian root extract contains the antioxidants hesperidin and linarin, both of which demonstrate sleep-enhancing actions. Valerian root also inhibits the breakdown of GABA in the brain to prolong feelings of calm and tranquility.
- L-theanine is the amino acid which makes green tea so popular as a relaxing, stress-relieving beverage. L-theanine reduces anxiety and physical as well as emotional stress to help maintain a deep restful sleep.
A New Era of Sustainable Naturopathic Health at Modern Nature
The benefits of quality sleep can't be underestimated as an essential foundation for optimized health of mind and body. Modern Nature's Rested formula is the safest, non-toxic, all natural plant-derived solution for ensuring a sound, reinvigorating sleep. All of our MoNa CBD products are vegan-friendly and contain the full spectrum of hemp cannabinoids to deliver all of the synergistic health benefits which Mother Nature has to offer. Our formulas have been developed specifically to provide tailored CBD solutions to get a good night's sleep with Rested, alleviate anxiety and pain with Relieved, and manage the stress we all run into in our busy active lives with Relaxed. When you're ready to join the new era of sustainable naturopathic health please don't hesitate to contact us.