Why Is Everyone Talking About The Health Benefits Of CBD?
CBD is All the Rage! And With Good Reason
With decades of research on the incredible endocannabinoid system (ECS) now on the books CBD (cannabidiol) has become all the rage, and with good reason. Health consumers worldwide are turning to CBD to manage pain, alleviate stress, ease the symptoms of anxiety and depression, and even to get a good nights sleep.
Athletes and fitness professionals use CBD to work out longer and harder and build the muscles and endurance they need to compete at the highest levels. Even pet owners are using CBD to enhance the quality of life for their beloved animals. That's because CBD works naturally via the ECS and every mammal has one. As it turns out we're all pre-wired to enjoy the many health-enhancing benefits of CBD.
The non-psychoactive cannabinoid CBD (the abbreviation for cannabidiol) has now emerged as the root source in cannabis accountable for many of the healing benefits historically associated with the two distant Sativa L. species cousins, hemp and marijuana. While THC has gained fame and immense popularity among recreational marijuana users, CBD has become the cannabinoid of choice for informed health consumers.
What is CBD?
CBD is a natural substance already made internally in the bodies of humans and in fact, all mammals. (Pet owners make up a significant segment of the CBD market.) The prefix "endo" translates to "internal" or "within", hence CBD is classified as a natural endocannabinoid. External sources of CBD, such as MoNa's hemp-derived vegan-friendly
products are natural supplements, not man-made chemically synthesized drugs.
- CBD is non-toxic making it the safest therapeutic substance of all OTC medications found in the modern medicine cabinet. This is important for parents with small children in the house.
- CBD is non-addictive and since it is already synthesized naturally by the ECS there is no risk of building up a tolerance. With CBD a little goes a long way and the risk of fatal overdose is eliminated.
- CBD is non-psychoactive meaning that it won't get you high. While CBD can elevate the levels of anandamide which elevates mood naturally, it does not induce the intense and unpredictable, sometimes manic high that THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) found in marijuana can. This makes CBD the cannabinoid of choice for alleviating symptoms of stress, depression, and anxiety without impairing judgment while enhancing clarity of thought. These are important considerations for those who work under drug-free policies at the workplace. MoNa's CBD products from hemp contain less than .03% trace levels of THC.
- CBD has a wide range of therapeutic benefits that enhance comprehensive physical and mental health by ensuring that the ECS has an adequate supply of natural CBD available to maintain an optimized state of well being which scientists call "homeostasis". Many health consumers who try CBD to alleviate a single symptom of pain or inflammation are happily surprised to find that they are also sleeping soundly, experiencing decreased anxiety and elevated mood, and enjoying a general sense of well being. Some life scientists have called this optimized state of homeostasis "Living in the Goldilocks Zone", an amicable way of describing a healthy, active lifestyle where everything in mind and body is "just right".
CBD is Now Legal in All 50 States
With the recent passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, CBD from hemp, (and only hemp) is now fully legalized in all 50 states. It is important to point out that CBD derived from marijuana is still subject to legal sanctions at the federal level as well as in many states in the US. This is because derivatives of marijuana can be rich in THC content, the unpredictable psychoactive cannabinoid which produces marijuana's notorious mental high.
Why is CBD From Hemp the Consumer's Choice?
While it's true that certain strains of medical marijuana are now being developed and bred to produce higher ratios of beneficial CBD content, years of manipulative cultivation of high THC marijuana for recreational purposes leaves us with a legacy of rich THC content in today's strains. THC can actually be detrimental in treating symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression, or sleep disruption, to name just a few of the disorder symptoms which CBD has been shown to alleviate so successfully.
Why is CBD From Hemp Preferrable to CBD in Marijuana?
THC can trigger an infusion of adrenaline which aggravates insomnia and can induce unpredictable mania in those who already experience excessive levels of anxiety. THC binds more aggressively with the anandamide receptors in the brain than the natural mood-elevating anandamide compound itself. This is the cause of the intense but short-term euphoria induced by marijuana which so many recreational users seek. But for those seeking relief from chronic depression, stress, or anxiety, THC can disrupt the natural balance of anandamide and actually worsen the symptoms of these disorders.
Medical marijuana users seeking to treat these symptoms need to experiment with different CBD/THC content ratios in a trial and error process to achieve the results they seek. With CBD there is no guesswork about the CBD/THC balance because THC is removed from the equation. While THC and CBD together do have applications where the combination of both active cannabinoids is preferable (as in cancer-fighting), CBD alone is emerging as the source ingredient most suited as the essential cannabinoid for self-administered therapeutic health regimens. While it is known that full-spectrum, or "whole plant CBD " is most effective, the THC cannabinoid is not a significant part of the whole hemp plant at minuscule trace levels of .03% or less.
CBD For Relieving Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression
CBD is known to moderate the psychoactive action of THC. Current research is indicating that CBD actually triggers the ECS to manufacture additional cannabinoid receptors, the CB1 and CB2 receivers for CBD located throughout the brain, nervous system, and immune cells throughout the body. CBD also increases natural levels of anandamide to elevate mood naturally over the long term without inducing the mental impairment which comes with an intense short-term mental high.
CBD also interacts in a therapeutically beneficial manner to modulate serotonin reuptake,a known factor of depression. CBD enhances the activity of receptors to which serotonin binds and modulates the endocannabinoid actions and brain receptors via the ECS to improve mood and reduce stress.
CBD For Better, Safer Pain Relief
The absence of high THC content in hemp-derived products is very significant for CBD users who are seeking relief from chronic pain. While THC does have poignant analgesic (painkilling) characteristics, it also has a strong sedative effect which is undesirable for those leading an active lifestyle or working in demanding mentally challenging business environments. The absence of worrisome side effects is one reason the world is turning more and more to CBD from hemp for natural, safe pain relief.
The list of debilitating and lingering side effects is even longer for traditionally prescribed analgesics such as opiates derived from the opium plant (morphine, and codeine), or opiates (heroin, oxycodone, hydrocodone) which are even more potent and addictive man-made synthetic versions of the powerful painkillers.
OTC, (over-the-counter) medications for pain management may seem to be a safer alternative than the strong prescription drugs, but these too have health risks associated with long-term use. NSAID (non-steroidal-anti-
- Stomach pain
- Vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation
- Mild headache
CBD channels the natural healing and injury recovery resources of the ECS by working at the cellular level to modulate the immune response, inflammation, and pain tolerance without the negative side effects that accompany so many traditionally prescribed pain medications. CBD's anti-inflammatory action is one of the best known therapeutic benefits of the hemp plant, used historically to alleviate cramps, muscle spasms, arthritis pain, gout, and gastric distress.
At Modern Nature, we have a better way to manage pain with CBD, a healthy naturopathic approach, where the "side effects" are actually beneficial. So many users begin their daily CBD regimens expecting relief from pain or stress, only to discover that CBD offers so much more as it fine-tunes the ECS to enhance the quality of life in ways they'd never anticipated. Let's take a look at the astounding array of therapeutic characteristics which the latest research has discovered about CBD.
Healing Properties of CBD
People frequently ask just how CBD can be so effective for treating such a wide variety of symptoms, maladies, and disorders affecting not only physical health but mental well being. The answer, of course, is the fact that CBD is an integral component of the endocannabinoid system which just happens to operate in the most vital regions of the brain. The ECS is centered in the limbic and paralimbic regions which regulate motor control (physical coordination), emotion, mood, immune response, inflammation response to injury or infection, sleep, and appetite to name just a few of the many processes in which the ECS plays a part.
As endocannabinoid research continues, scientists are discovering new therapeutic benefits and applications for CBD every day. The ECS is so thoroughly integrated into our physiology that it is difficult to find a biological process that doesn't involve the ECS in one way or another. Let's take a look at the CBD "A" list to get an overview of what we know about CBD to this point, bearing in mind that we are still relatively in the early days of CBD research.
- Antiemetic- CBD can manipulate the endocannabinoid system to regulate nausea and vomiting. This is especially important for cancer patients dealing with the side effects of strong chemo or radiation therapy.
- Antioxidant- CBD is a more powerful antioxidant than the potent antioxidants vitamins C and E. The US government has known about CBD's antioxidant power for some time filing US Patent #1999/008769 is specifically for the neuroprotectant and antioxidant properties of cannabinoids. These properties make CBD a "scavenger of free radicals which contribute to diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Down's syndrome, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), dementia, and myocardial infarction (heart attack).
- Anti-inflammatory- CBD's anti-inflammation properties make it one of the most effective treatments for recovering from injury or the trauma of surgery. CBD's anti-inflammatory action combined with the neuroprotective property above makes it the treatment of choice for recovering from head trauma and concussions, a well-known fact among professional athletes and trainers. Relief from joint pain caused by arthritis is largely due to CBD's anti-inflammatory action.
- Antidepressant- We've already discussed how CBD manipulates the endocannabinoid system by interacting with serotonin receptors and elevating natural levels of anandamide to enhance mood and a sense of well-being. Preclinical studies with rodents are pointing to CBD's potential as the next generation antidepressant, able to induce a "rapid and long-lasting antidepressant effect" according to this report at PsyPost.
- Anti-anxiety- Researchers are now focusing on cannabidiol alone as an effective treatment for anxiety after years of abysmal results when THC rich marijuana was the subject. In 2010 a study showed that CBD reduced symptoms of social anxiety disorder (SAD) by altering blood flow to regions of the brain linked to anxiety. More recent studies have shown CBD to be useful in treating symptoms of child anxiety as well as for anxiety triggered by PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder in adults.
- Anti-cancer- Aside from CBD's antiemetic benefits for cancer patients,cannabidiol is showing promising potential to directly interfere with tumor growth, cancer cell migration, cancer cell adhesion, and metastasizing (spreading beyond the original site).
Other Health Benefits of CBD
Believe it or not, our extensive "A" list of the many therapeutic properties of CBD is far from complete. As research continues into how the ECS can be manipulated to correct individual disorders we expect to add to the list. A recent study in Korea is pointing to CBD's potential to regulate metabolism, revealing that CBD can increase the body's ability to burn calories while decreasing proteins which create new fat cells within the body.
At Modern Nature, we provide 3 types of specially blended CBD capsules, each formulated to provide natural CBD solutions for different conditions.
Alleviate Stress and Anxiety With MoNa's Relaxed Capsules
Our Relax blend of high potency CBD and magnesium, amino acids, and our proprietary blend of natural stress relievers combine to bring balance and a clear mind for those dealing with the challenges and daily stress encountered in our busy, competitive world.
MoNa's Relieved Capsules Support Healthy Inflammation Response
Our Relieved Capsules combine full spectrum CBD, a patented high-absorption Turmeric Complex, magnesium, and other essential vitamins to promote joint health while supporting a healthy inflammation response using CBD's potent anti-inflammatory action. Our turmeric complex provides absorption at rates 6 times better than other turmeric CBD blends, so a little goes a long way.
MoNa's Rested Capsules Ensure a Sound and Rejuvenating Sleep
Powerful CBD, melatonin, amino acids, and essential vitamins combine in our Rested Capsules to enhance your sleep naturally. Just one capsule 30-60 minutes before sleep is all you need to sleep deeply and restfully so you awaken recharged and ready to face the day.
Not Sure Which Modern Nature Product is Best For You?
If you're just beginning your CBD regimen we have a great way for you to try and get acquainted with each of our specially formulated CBD blends. Our starter pack lets you try all three of our Relieved, Relaxed, and Rested CBD formulas so you can decide for yourself which is most suited to your fitness goals and needs. Best of all you can try Modern Natures full spectrum CBD line up and receive a 10% discount as our way of welcoming you to a new world of naturopathic health and wellness. If you have any questions about the Modern Nature line of vegan-friendly CBD rich products, please don't hesitate to contact us.